Phone | (312) 332-8521
Fax | (312) 332-8451
Maura Yusof is senior counsel with over 16 years of experience in a broad array of business consulting and commercial litigation matters. She holds an “AV Preeminent” attorney rating received from the peer rating system of Martindale-Hubbell, has been named an Illinois Super Lawyer magazine “Rising Star” for several years, and has been named to the Chicago Law Bulletin Publishing Company’s list of Illinois Emerging Lawyers in several of her practice areas, including Commercial Litigation, Products Liability Defense, Toxic Torts Defense, and Personal Injury Defense. Ms. Yusof is an appointed Hearing Officer for the City of Chicago Business Affairs and Consumer Protection Commission (BACP), which hears a variety of business licensing matters.
Ms. Yusof represents corporations, small businesses, professionals and governmental entities in contract negotiations and complex commercial litigation matters. Ms. Yusof has experience and has presented on emerging issues for employers’ and healthcare professionals’ compliance with Illinois’ medical cannabis laws and regulations. She has represented corporate taxpayers and a public governmental body regarding sales tax and corporate income tax disputes before the Illinois Department of Revenue, the Illinois Independent Tax Tribunal and Illinois state courts. In addition, Ms. Yusof has extensive experience litigating cases pertaining to premises liability, products liability, high exposure asbestos toxic torts, large property damage claims resulting from fires and explosions, construction defects, and professional liability matters. Ms. Yusof received her juris doctorate from Washington University School of Law in St. Louis and her undergraduate degree from Georgetown University. She was born in Kabul, Afghanistan and speaks fluent Dari, a dialect of Persian.
- Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri, J.D.
- Law Review Articles and Notes Editor, Washington University Journal of Law and Policy
- Environmental Moot Court – Board
- Joseph Kutten Prize in Insurance Law, awarded at graduation for top grade.
- Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
- Double Major in Government (International Affairs) and Spanish, Minor in French
- State Courts of Illinois
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois – Trial Bar and General Bar
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (MDL)
Hearing Officer for the City of Chicago Business Affairs and Consumer Protection Commission (BACP), May 2018.
Publications and Presentations
- “Public Construction Project Liability” Annual Claims Handling Seminar, Normal, Illinois, May 11, 2017.
- “Going to Pot? Anticipating and Preparing for Workplace Effects in the Wake of Illinois’ Medical Marijuana Pilot Program” Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, Employment Practice Committee Medical Marijuana Seminar, Chicago, Illinois, September 22, 2016.
- “Lakes and Other Bodies of Water in Parks: (Part 1) Special Liability Concerns; (Part 2) Risk Management and Insurance” Illinois Association of Park Districts (IAPD) and Illinois Parks and Recreation Association (IPRA) Soaring to New Heights Conference, Chicago, IL, January 28-29, 2016.
- “Parades and Festivals in Parks – Liability Issues and Recent Decisions” Illinois Association of Park Districts (IAPD) and Illinois Parks and Recreation Association (IPRA) Soaring to New Heights Conference, Chicago, IL, January 28-29, 2016.
- “Parades and Festivals in Parks – Liability Issues and Recent Decisions” Illinois Association of Park Districts (IAPD) Legal Symposium, Oak Brook, IL, October 29, 2015.
- “Representing Medical Practices & Physicians: Medicare and Medicaid Liens” Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Chicago, IL, April 29, 2015.
- “Concealed Carry in Illinois: Employer Rights and Responsibilities” Joint Seminar by Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, Illinois Insurance Association, Illinois Retail Merchants Association, and Illinois Manufacturers’ Association, Chicago, IL, October 30, 2014.
- “Triggering the Policy” Defense Research Institute, Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute, Construction Defect Track, Chicago, IL, May 25, 2012.
- “Settlement Pitfalls” Annual Claims Handling Seminar, Bloomington, IL, May 19, 2011.
- Hartney Fuel Oil Company v. Hamer, 2013 IL 115130. Suit was filed by a retail sales taxpayer against the client, The Regional Transportation Authority (RTA), the Illinois Department of Revenue, and a Cook County municipality contending that the assessment of back sales taxes of $20+ million was incorrect. Ultimately, the RTA’s position was upheld in the Illinois Supreme Court. While the taxpayer was not required to pay back taxes pursuant to the Taxpayer Bill of Rights, the Illinois Supreme Court invalidated existing regulations in adopting a “multi-factor test” as argued for by the RTA, a decision which had statewide application to sales tax sourcing favoring governmental entities such as the RTA.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment on an insurance contract dispute, affirmed by the Second District Appellate Court of Illinois, regarding the requirement to repair and replace a commercial building before allowing payment beyond the actual cash value under the insurance company’s form Functional Replacement Cost Endorsement.
Attorney Rating and Honors
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV Preeminent” (highest rating).
- Named an Illinois Super Lawyers magazine “Rising Star” (2012-2016). The Super Lawyers Rising Stars selection process is based on peer recognition and professional achievement. Only 2.5 percent of Illinois lawyers under the age of 40 or who have been practicing 10 years or less earn this designation.
- Named to the Chicago Law Bulletin Publishing Company’s list of Illinois Emerging Lawyers in each of the following areas: Commercial Litigation; Products Liability Defense; Toxic Torts Defense; and Personal Injury Defense. Only two percent of Illinois lawyers under the age of 40 or who have been licensed to practice for 10 years or less earn this distinction.
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel – President’s Commendation for Leadership and Service as part of the Cook County Cost & Delay Task Force, 2013
- Illinois Women in Cannabis