James K. Horstman
Phone | (312) 332-8494
Fax | (312) 332-8451
James K. Horstman
James K. Horstman is a founding member and partner who concentrates his practice in appeals and insurance coverage litigation in federal and state courts. He has an active national practice and frequently speaks and writes on technology and coverage issues. Mr. Horstman received his juris doctorate from Washington University School of Law. He holds an “AV Preeminent” attorney rating from the peer rating system of Martindale Hubbell, and has been named as a Top Lawyer and Super Lawyer in Illinois.
- Illinois State Bar
- United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- Washington University School of Law, St Louis, MO, J.D.
- Yale University, New Haven, CT, M.A.R.
- DePauw University, Greencastle, IN, B.A.
- Claims-Made and First-Party Policies, Co-author with James K. Horstman, Illinois Insurance Law (IICLE 2012) - Click to read »
- Claims-Made and First-Party Policies, Co-author with Antonio J. Fricano, Illinois Insurance Law (IICLE 2012).
- Claims-Made and First-Party Policies, Co-author with Jennifer L. Tweeton, Illinois Insurance Law (IICLE 2009). – Click to read »
- What Insurers Can Do to Secure Reasonable Rates from Conflict Counsel Co-author with Douglas M. DeWitt, The Carrier Chronicle, October 2005. - Click to read »
- Peaceful Co-Existence in Complex Litigation: Defendants Can’t We Just Get Along? Co-author with Lori E. Iwan, For The Defense, July 2000. - Click to read »
- Punitive and Other Damages for Emotional distress in Third Party Bad Faith Actions, Federation of Insurance and Corporate Counsel , Fall, 1999.
- Directors and Officers at Risk for Y2K Liability (Co-Author), Illinois State Bar Association, Corporate Counsel Committee Newsletter, October, 1999.
- Winding the Litigation Clock – Statutes of Limitations and the Year 2000 (Co-Author), Mealey’s Year 2000 Report, April, 1999
- Doing Business in an Age of Uncertainty: Popping the Y2K Compliance Question, Mealey’s Year 2000 Report, September, 1998
- The Standard of Care for Year 2000 Remediation (Co-Author), Year 2000 Law Report (BNA), September, 1998
- Year 2000 Coverage Issues Under General Liability Policies, CPCU Society Claims Section Quarterly, May, 1998
- Ten Good Reasons to Worry About Tobacco Liability Exposure, For the Defense, August, 1997
- Federal Preemption: Still a Cure for Managed Care Liability Claims?, For the Defense, July, 1997
- ADDRESSING THE EMERGENT REINSURANCE CLAIMS CHALLENGE, PROACTIVE LOSS EXPOSURE ANALYSIS AND RESPONSE - Click to read »
- HIGH STAKES AND HARD DECISIONS: Serving the Tripartite Relationship - Click to read »
- PREPARING FOR INTERNET CLAIMS: Secrets For Successful Handling of E-Claims - Click to read »
- SAVING EXPENSE THROUGH THE USE OF TECHNOLOGY: Smarter, Faster, Better - Click to read »
- First Springfield Bank v. Galman, 720 N.E.2d 1068 ( 1999)
- State Farm v. Universal Underwriters, 695 N.E.2d 848 ( 1998)
- State Farm v. Villacana, 692 N.E.2d 1196 ( 1998)
- Varelis v. Northwestern Memorial Hospital, 657 N.E.2d 997 ( 1995)
- Obenland v. Economy Fire & Casualty Co, 612 N.E.2d 748 (1993)
- U.S.F&G. v. Wilkin Insulation Co., 578 N.E.2d 976 ( 1991)
- Blagg v. F.W.D. Truck, 572 N.E.2d 920 ( 1991)
- Hall v. ADM, 524 N.E.2d 586 ( 1988)
- Zurich Insurance Co. v. Raymark Industries , 514 N.E.2d 150 ( 1987)
- City of Dubuque v. Iowa Trust, 587 N.W.2d 216 ( 1998)
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV Preeminent” (highest) Peer Rating
- Leading Lawyers Network “Top Lawyer” peer rating in Appellate Law, Insurance Coverage and Reinsurance
- Illinois Super Lawyer List, 2008-2017, by Illinois Super Lawyers Magazine
- Who’s Who in American Law Recognition
- Top Attorneys in Illinois, February 2011, by Chicago Magazine
- Chicago, Illinois