Adam C. Carter
Phone | (312) 332-8505
Fax | (312) 332-8451
Adam C. Carter
Adam Carter is a partner with a wide-ranging practice and over 15 years of experience in the defense of complex tort and commercial litigation. Mr. Carter is a skilled litigator, focusing on product liability, professional liability, premises liability, and breach of contract cases. He has represented aviation product manufacturers in aviation litigation involving major air disasters all over the world, as well as manufacturers in the propane, marine safety, and construction industries. With regard to his professional liability experience, Mr. Carter vigorously defends attorneys, physicians, environmental specialists, and other professionals from the inception of a claim through trial and appeal. Mr. Carter is a member of the Board of Directors of the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel and recently completed his service as the Chair of the IDC Civil Practice Committee. He presents to legal and business audiences on civil procedure topics. He has been admitted pro hac vice in a number of courts across the country. He earned his juris doctorate cum laude from the University of Illinois College of Law.
- Illinois State Bar
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- Pro Hac Vice Admissions: California, Florida, Indiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, United States District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- University of Illinois College of Law, Champaign, IL, J.D.
Honors: Cum Laude
- Augustana College, Rock Island, IL, B.A.
Bachelor of Arts, English
Minors: Political Science, Foundations Studies
Honors: Cum Laude
- United States Attorney’s Office, Eastern District of Missouri, Extern
- Selected as an Emerging Lawyer in Illinois by Leading Lawyers
- Listed in Strathmore’s Who’s Who
- International Association of Defense Counsel 2003 Trial Academy
- IDC President’s Commendation for Leadership and Service on the IDC Cost & Delay Task Force
- IDC Meritorious Service Award for service as Chair of Civil Practice Committee
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Board of Directors, 2016-Present
- Legislative Committee, 2015-Present
- Chair of the Civil Practice Committee, 2013-2017
- Vice Chair of the Civil Practice Committee, 2011-2013
The Civil Practice Committee of the IDC focuses on drafting and modifying legislation in Illinois, including Supreme Court Rules, and also determining if the IDC should weigh in on civil practice issues pending before the appellate courts and the Illinois Supreme Court.
- American Bar Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Propane Gas Defense Association
Publications and Presentations
- “Legal Malpractice v. Breach of Fiduciary Duty: Determining the Proper Remedy,” IDC MonogRAPH II, FIRST QUARTER, 2007 - Click to read »
- “First District Appellate Court Reiterates Forum Non Conveniens Analysis.”
- “Simultaneous Disclosure of Experts in Cook County: To What End and At What Cost?,” IDC Defense Update, Vol. 13, No. 1, March 2012 - Click to read »
- “Personal Jurisdiction after Daimler AG v. Bauman,” Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel’s Statewide CLE Series, The Outing Club, Davenport, IA, April 23, 2015.
- “Tort Law Update on Illinois and Florida Law,” XL Catlin Continuing Education, Exton, Pennsylvania, January 28, 2016.
- “How Am I Going to Settle This Case? Alternative Dispute Resolution,” Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, May 4, 2016.
- “Just When You Thought You Knew Who You Represented: A New Decision May Upset the Law Regarding Attorney Liability to Third Parties,” IDC Quarterly, Monograph, Volume 26, Number 2, co-author. Click here to read.
- “The Use of Artificial Intelligence, Electronic Discovery, Storage and Privacy,” and “Vignettes in Legal Ethics,” Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, Panel Discussion, November 14, 2016.
- “7 Tips to Understand Construction Contracts,” L&W Supply Corporation’s Blog & News, May 12, 2017.